Visit The "Recently Added" Section

World War II: 1939 ~ 1945
United States of America (All Branches)
Named Lots & Groupings
ARMY - GROUND UNITS
Germany

A0006
Selling Price: $985 - Postage in the U.S.A. is: $5
PACIFIC 36TH SQUADRON FIGHTING FIENDS AUSSY THEATRE MADE PATCH
FROM ESTATE OF GENERAL CAMPBELL: CHINESE AMERICAN COMPOSITE WING CACW
Part of a large grouping from the estate of a retired Brigadier General, Donald John Campbell. In WWII he had one confirmed kill, a DFC with two Oak-Leaf clusters and an Air Medal with five Oak-Leaf Clusters. He was also later attached to the 3RD Chinese Fighter Group with their secretive Liaison Mission as part of the "CHINESE AMERICAN COMPOSITE WING (PROV)" - C.A.C.W. for the 14TH AAF. In that capacity he flew secret missions after the war ended to support attacks on Chinese rebels. You will not find anything on the web about these attacks, but they are mentioned in some of the General's personal documents, so check them out under this great man's listing for that particular item.

An original and way exotic WWII bright and colorful Fighting Fields Theatre made patch that measures 6 &3/8ths inches tall by 5.70 inches wide and is mint. Few of these embroidered patches were made, and we all know to doubt authenticity on leather patches, which is what you seem to see most of the time from this unit. You will be beside yourself once you hold it. It is huge and way mint. It is a striking beauty in every sense of the word and extremely rare in every regard.

******************************

The man:

Retired Nov. 1, 1979. Died May 12, 2007.

Brig. Gen. Donald J. Campbell is deputy to the chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.

General Campbell was born in Detroit, Mich., in 1919, and attended Salmon P. Chase Law School in Cincinnati, Ohio. He entered active military service as an aviation cadet in December 1941, shortly after Pearl Harbor, and received his pilot wings and commission as second lieutenant at Stockton, Calif., in 1942.

In July 1942 he went to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater of Operations where he flew 274 combat missions in P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, and P-61 aircraft. In November 1944 he returned to the United States and was assigned to the West Coast Fighter Training Sector. In April 1945 he was transferred to the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations.

Following World War II, General Campbell was sent to Wright Field, Ohio, where he served with the Directorate of Officer Personnel for Air Materiel Command and later with the Army Air Forces Demonstration Team. He was a team member and an operations officer and designed a few maneuvers for the team. In December 1946 he left active military duty and became a member of the Air Force in inactive status.

In September 1951 he assumed command of the 910TH Air Reserve Training Wing at Cincinnati, Ohio, with the primary duty of organizing the wing. When organized, the wing moved to Clinton County Air Force Base, Ohio, received its aircraft, and was re-designated as the 302ND Troop Carrier Wing. In June 1952 the wing was reorganized as the 302ND Tactical Airlift Wing and equipped with C-119 Flying Boxcar aircraft.

General Campbell continued duty as commander of the 302ND Wing and in July 1961 assumed additional duties as commander of Clinton County Air Force Base when the base was transferred from Strategic Air Command to Continental Air Command. In 1970 the wing was re-designated as the 302d Special Operations Wing.

While serving with the 302d Wing, General Campbell was responsible for conducting the Air Force Reserve mission and providing training in the operation and maintenance of the C-119 aircraft for members of foreign air forces under the Military Assistance Program. Under his leadership the 302d tested the gunship concept in the C-119 aircraft and provided the first squadron to fly the AC-119 in combat in Southeast Asia.

The wing has trained many U.S. Air Force members who later served in Southeast Asia as AC-119 gunship pilots, aircrew members, and support personnel. The wing also trained aircrew and maintenance personnel of the Republic of Vietnam air force, Ethiopian air force and the Moroccan air force.

General Campbell returned to active military duty in June 1970 as deputy to the chief of Air Force Reserve.

He has served as member of the Air Force Reserve Forces Policy Committee; adviser and former member,

Tactical Air Command Air Force Reserve Forces Policy Committee; national committeeman, Reserve Officers Association; president, Department of Ohio, Reserve Officers Association; member, Reserve Officers National Affairs Committee; and member, Community Council, Wilmington, Ohio.

His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters, Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, and the Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem.

He was promoted to the temporary grade of Brigadier General effective Feb. 28, 1963, with date of rank May 20, 1963.

BRIGADIER GENERAL DONALD J. CAMPBELL

(Current as of April 15, 1971)

******************************

A bit of 36TH Fighter Squadron information from the web:

The 36TH Fighter Squadron of the 8TH Fighter Group, USAAC arrived in Brisbane on 6 March 1942 with the rest of the 8TH Fighter Group. They had sailed to Australia on an old cattle boat called "Maui", leaving in about late January 1942.

The 8TH Fighter Group were equipped with P-39's assembled at Eagle Farm airport. These P-39's assembled at Eagle Farm were originally intended to go to the Philippines but the convoy was diverted to Brisbane. The 35TH Fighter Group had earlier been equipped with P-39's assembled at Eagle Farm.

They moved to Lowood airfield on 13 March 1942. They relocated to Antill Plains airfield near Townsville on 4 April 1942 where there were 2 landing strips.

They moved to Port Moresby, arriving on 26 April 1942 (another source gives the date as 30 Apr 42). They later returned to Townsville area on 30 June 1942 for various rest and re-equipment tasks.

The History of the 36TH Fighter Squadron shows that ground elements of the 36TH Fighter Squadron arrived back in Townsville on the ship Tasman on 30 June 1942. They boarded a train and were taken to Antil Plains airfield. They boarded trucks and were taken to the camp formerly occupied by the 40TH Squadron.

They were met by the pilots and the men who had returned from Port Moresby by air transport and the men who had been on duty at Horn Island since 1 April 1942. The 36TH then moved to Ross River airfield, arriving there on 2 August 1942 where they used the new runway that was nearing completion on the edge of Townsville.

They moved to Milne Bay in New Guinea on 18 September 1942.

Then on 22 February 1943 they moved to Mareeba airfield in north Queensland and moved to Port Moresby in New Guinea on 22 May 1943.



Copyright © 2010 ~ 2014 by TigerPatterns.com All rights reserved.